Monday, May 02, 2005

Spring Creek Nature Preserve

Sunday morning I snuck away for about an hour or so & took pictures at Spring Creek Nature Preserve off Holford at 190 in Garland. It is about 2 miles from my house max. I am still in play-around / test mode with this camera. Many of these I took over & over using different setting trying to figure out how much latitude on exposure I really have. Anyhow, here's a few. I pulled up and saw these right next to my car. All are linked to flickr.com.

Flowers - Spring Creek Preserve

The tiny drops of dew pick up the light nicely. This is from a bench that puts you up in the trees a bit. It's hard to tell from the pictures. I couldn't figure out how to expose this properly. :(

Birding Area - Spring Creek Preserve

It was still pretty dark under the canopy. I could have brightened this up, but it's pretty close to what I remember.

Leaves - Spring Creek Preserve

Finally at the creek and some big old trees await.

Big Tree - Spring Creek Preserve

Here's the canopy reflected in the creek. This was shot handheld.

Spring Creek Preserve

I had just packed up when I saw a flash in the water. Three ducks had come down the creek together. By the time I got my camera back out, they were disappearing fast. I normally don't get too excited about seeing ducks, but this had more of a "wild" feel to it. I used to duck hunt on Spring Creek in Houston growing up... so I got excited. Maybe I should say "poach", but I was only 12 at the time.

3 Ducks - Spring Creek Preserve

I decided to wait a few more minutes to see if anything else happened. I waited about 10 minutes & this guy teased me for a few minutes. I had to go to the upper bank before he would go completely down the creek.

Duck - Spring Creek Preserve

Teasing...

Duck - Spring Creek Preserve

So I climbed back up the the upper bank and he decide to pass through.

Duck - Spring Creek Preserve

There are more pictures in the Spring Creek set on flickr.com.


No comments: